Sunday, July 5, 2009

Walking Through The Forest


I was walking through the woods and I felt a hot breath on my neck

I shivered in response feeling the hair stand up at my nape.

Then I heard a voice quiet in my ear,

“don’t be afraid”.

Don’t be afraid?

But I am alone in the woods and it is dark.

How can I not fear,

How can I not tremble,

How can I not run?

“Don’t be afraid” the voice said again, louder this time.

What if I stumble?

What if there are predators in the forest?

What if I get lost?

“Don’t be afraid”, I felt the voice resonate through me now booming in my ear.

But, I have been in these woods before.

I have been lost here before.

It took me so long to find my way.

I have been injured here before.

It took me so long to heal,

And I still bear the scars.

My feet wanted to run and run fast.

But the voice quiet again said,

“Don’t be afraid, take a chance, 

Explore the woods and you may find the meadow you have searched for.”

My mind raced and my fear subsided for a moment

As I pictured the place of my dreams.

That most tranquil and beautiful place,

A place of safety, comfort and beauty.

Jerked back to reality, I wanted to run again.

But, I felt a hand on my shoulder compelling me to stay.

“Don’t be afraid, as your fear will consume you.”

I closed my eyes to block out everything else,

I only wanted to focus on this voice directing my steps.

“Don’t be afraid, in safety, there is never great gain.”

Listening to the rhythmic breath in my ear,

Feeling the hand guiding me,

Feeling the warmth of the breath in my cold solitude

I knew I had to take a chance and stay.

And I knew that when my fear returned,

As it most certainly would,

All I had to do was close my eyes, shut out the world

And focus on the voice.

I am still wandering in this forest

I am still alone

I still get frightened

But I have gained the hope of finding that meadow

And that alone makes it worth the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment