Thursday, July 30, 2009

Letting My Light Shine

I was reading my Bible today and came across Matthew 5:16. It is a verse I have read many times in my life but today it jumped off the page at me, "Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven." We all know we are supposed to be like light in the darkness around us, we all sang the children's song, "this little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine...."

But today I noticed something different. Today I noticed that my light is supposed to shine in such a way that it will cause others to glorify God. Wow! That is just not normal in our society. What would it take to let your light shine in such a way that it brings glory to God? Recognition is a hugely motivating factor in people's lives. People love to be seen as the talented one or the good samaritan, etc. I know how to do good things that will benefit others and also put just a little bit of the light on me. I don't need all the light of course but just a little pat on the back might feel nice. I really had to think about this one and these are a few of the things that I believe it would take to shine a light that points to the Father instead of to me;

1. Anonymity - If I do things to gain the respect of man, I lose the respect of God. Matthew 6:3 says, "But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." The true reward comes when we are able to selflessly do our work as unto the Lord. (Colossians 3:23) Doing works that glorify God in a state of anonymity can only point people in one direction.... to the Father.

2. Diligence - Romans 12:11 says, "Never be lazy in showing such devotion. Be on fire with the Spirit. Serve the Lord." We are to serve God by being "on fire" with the Spirit. On fire? Imagine if you will someone truly on fire. You see videos of houses on fire and out the door comes someone in flames, just sauntering out like it's no big deal. No.... that is not how it happens at all is it? You see someone running out, diving to the ground to roll, jumping up and down.... this is the attitude, these are the actions of one truly "on fire" and these on fire people never stop. To point people in the direction of God, you have to be diligent in your works, diligent in your confession, diligent in your countenance. Be on fire!

3. Attitude - There is nothing that points to the grace of God more than a loving and kind attitude in the midst of lifes trials. Philippians 2:5 says, "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:" I don't know about you but, I'm in trouble here. While hanging on the cross, Jesus asked for the forgiveness of those who caused him that physical agony. Right in the middle of the throes of His pain, he thought about them and their salvation. I personally, want to slash the tires of the guy who cut me off on the freeway this morning.

4. Abandonment - Matthew 10:39 says, "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it." In order to find life and in order to point the way to life, we must become like our Lord. Abandonment to self is the key to finding life. This isn't denial of who we are, what we feel or our needs but choosing to give those things, yes, even those parts of us we are certain God doesn't care for.... to God. Choosing His ways over our ways, choosing His peace over our fear, choosing His provision over our wants.

This verse has been in my mind since I was child. This verse has been repeated in Sunday School, Youth Group and Vacation Bible School. There have been entire sermons written around this verse and how we are to let our lights shine but how often have you hear "the rest of the story"? (Thanks Paul Harvey, for letting me borrow that verbiage). This isn't a little feel good verse telling us to be a good witness... this verse carries some weight. I would like to think that maybe one day I will achieve letting my light shine in such a way as to point others to Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment