Saturday, January 2, 2010

Selective Salt

Have you ever gone to the grocery and purchased salt and then brought it home and some days it was salty and on other days you could shake and shake the container and it just didn't have any flavor? Of course not.... what a silly question!!
Jesus says that we are the "salt of the world" (Matthew 5:13) yet we tend to want to be selectively salty. Flavoring our conversation with the good news of the gospel only when it is convenient and comfortable. Far be it from me to judge your Christian walk but, I would like to challenge you to really look at your life.... if you are being selectively salty, I dare say that perhaps you are not salt at all.
James 3:11 & 12 say, "Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water." In the old testament we read in 2 Chronicles, Leviticus and Numbers about a "covenant of salt". Just as salt is a preservative, this covenant of salt refers to perpetuity. Salt is constant, salt is perpetual, salt preserves or it is not salt at all.
I have come to the realization that it is not enough to be a good example. It is not enough to be kind and loving to those around me. If there is one person whose life I have been a part of who is not given the opportunity to accept Jesus as his/her Savior... I have failed. I must be the salt that God says I am every day, in every moment to all people. Luke 14:35 tells us that if salt loses it's saltiness it is worthless and not even fit for the manure pile.
I am all the more convinced of this truth as I look back on my life and recognize the depravity that I have been saved from. The Word tells us in Luke 12:48 that to whom much is given, much is expected. We seem to read these words and focus on either great talent or material possessions. To the outside world, it would appear that I have not been given much but, I know what God saved me from. I know the extent of the grace and mercy that have been shown to me and I know that I owe God more than most. I am choosing from this day on to no longer be selectively salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment