Thursday, November 5, 2009

The Secret Deception

Those that have seen my blog know that I love to write. But, I have this deep need somehow inside of me for others that read my writing to enjoy it. I don't generally write on light topics but yet, I still try to tickle the mind a bit in my writings. So, I will mull on a topic until I feel ready to write. Tonight, I'm not ready but what I have inside of me can't wait. My prayer is that I will be able to pull it all together and make sense of what is boiling inside of me.

I read some quotes this morning written by a doctor I know. They were excellent quotes portraying Christian principles yet, he is not a Christian. One of the things he talked about was the power within ones mind to heal and he stated that anger and bitterness cause "dis-ease" and therefore disease within the body. I found myself agreeing with him, knowing that is a biblical principle (Proverbs 14:30 "The life of the body is a heart at peace, but envy rots the bones.") and yet, somehow feeling sad because I realized how difficult it would be for this man to come to Jesus.

These thoughts were followed by thoughts on the book, "The Secret".... this book has become so popular and although a secular book, teaches Christian principles. I have seen it touted even in Christian circles and as I thought on it this morning, my heart was grieved. Grieved for the non-believers that figure out the principles in life that bring health and healing knowing that it will drive them farther from the Father and grieved for the Christians alike. You may wonder why it would worry me for Christians to learn Christian principles and I will tell you.... First, they are Christian principles but many Christians that have not searched the scriptures will not recognize them as such. Second, learning the principles this way circumvents the process that would normally bring one to these realizations.

The path to living an abundant life is a path of growth as we learn more about the character of Jesus and God the Father. We grow closer to Him as we learn His word and apply it precept upon precept in our lives. Mark 13:22 talks about the end times and states, "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect." I believe we are being seduced into an abundant life that is a perversion of what God truly has for us. Satan is sly.... we have to take notice and carefully examine what we put before our eyes. The enemy is working hard to deceive us. 2 Corinthians 11:3 says, "But I am afraid that, as the serpent in his craftiness deceived Eve, so your minds may be led astray from their single-heartedness and their fidelity to Christ." My fear is that I am watching this happen. Jesus came and died that we might have life and have it more abundantly, He has offered us healing, deliverance, provision, love, peace but, there is no short cut. We gain these things through relationship with the one who created us to be in communion with Him.

P.S. Pastor Rob Hastings reminded me of this passage in 2 Timothy 3:1- "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God-- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them."

This is most definitely a form of godliness but denying its power. What a strong admonition. We need to take heed.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Laurie!!
    wow, from your fist paragragh on..fantastic!
    I am so impressed..and Blessed..

    You speak to me without tickling my ears and in your creative way, you paint a picture in my mind.
    great job.
    I will read it again and usally get more out of it.

    Keep it up.
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely a Christ inspired work! Very insightful and genuine. Stay in the fire woman of God!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow....!

    A great style you have, and a great ability to make vivid the lesson.

    ReplyDelete